No worries– we get this question a lot, so we’ve put together a quick rundown on what sets these step-through models apart!
Here's a Quick Summary:
Editor's Note: For the purposes of this piece, we are going to refer to the Franklin 3, Franklin 8, Willow 3, and Willow 7 as four separate models.
1. FRAME & FRAME MATERIALS
While all four models feature an easy-mounting step-through frame, on a technical note the frame geometry on the Willow 3, Franklin 3, and Franklin 8 are identical, while the Willow 7 has a slightly different geometry.
There's also a difference in frame materials between the four. If you're currently thinking “What does this mean?! I know nothing about bikes!” don't fret – we totally get it! Take a breath and read on…
- The Willow 3's frame is made of double-butted 4130 Chromoly Steel. We use a stronger grade of steel, which allows us to use thinner tubing resulting in a lighter frame.
- The Franklin 3's and Franklin 8's frame is crafted with specially engineered high-tensile steel. What does this mean? We are able to offer a similar bike at a more moderate price point. Our Franklin model is the most economical step-through model in our portfolio of bikes (as well as a team favorite)!
- The Willow 7 is a beast of its own, featuring a lightweight smooth-welded aluminum frame with internal cable routing.
Sea Glass Willow 3
Tires can seem like an inconsequential component, but believe us, they can be polarizing. The Willow 3 comes with cream tires, whereas the Franklin 3 & 8 sports black tires, and the Willow 7 features black tires with a skinwall. Do note that regardless of color, all our tires offer an added layer of puncture resistance.
Cardinal Red Franklin 8
3. GEARING, BRAKES, & COMPONENTRY
- All four bikes come with color matched fenders and chainguard, as well as a kickstand.
- All four models sport a rust-prohibitive coating on the chain
As our signature model, the Willow (both 3 & 7) has a few additional premium features including a Selle Royal gel-padded sprung saddle.
- The Willow 3 comes with a rear carrier, whereas the Franklin 3, Franklin 8, and Willow 7 have all the braze-ons (mounting points) needed should you want to attach a carrier.
Ivory Franklin 3
Gloss Black Willow 7
RELATED: Step-Through Bike Buying Guide
We hope this helps highlight the differences and similarities between our Franklins and Willows, but should you have questions on these, or any of our step-throughs, or anything else, please reach out or schedule a free 1 on 1 consultation call with our team. We’d love to help!