No worries– we get this question a lot, so we’ve put together a quick rundown on what sets these step-through models apart!
Here's a Quick Summary:
Editor's Note: For the purposes of this piece, we are going to refer to the Franklin 3, Franklin 8, Willow 3, and Willow 7 as four separate models.
1. FRAME & FRAME MATERIALS
While all four models feature an easy-mounting step-through frame, on a technical note the frame geometry on the Willow 3, Franklin 3, and Franklin 8 are identical, while the Willow 7 has a slightly different geometry.
There's also a difference in frame materials between the four. If you're currently thinking “What does this mean?! I know nothing about bikes!” don't fret – we totally get it! Take a breath and read on…
- The Willow 3's frame is made of double-butted 4130 Chromoly Steel. We use a stronger grade of steel, which allows us to use thinner tubing resulting in a lighter frame.
- The Franklin 3's and Franklin 8's frame is crafted with specially engineered high-tensile steel. What does this mean? We are able to offer a similar bike at a more moderate price point. Our Franklin model is the most economical step-through model in our portfolio of bikes (as well as a team favorite)!
- The Willow 7 is a beast of its own, featuring a lightweight smooth-welded aluminum frame with internal cable routing.
Sea Glass Willow 3
Tires can seem like an inconsequential component, but believe us, they can be polarizing. The Willow 3 comes with cream tires, whereas the Franklin 3 & 8 sports black tires, and the Willow 7 features black tires with a skinwall. Do note that regardless of color, all our tires offer an added layer of puncture resistance.
Cardinal Red Franklin 8
3. GEARING, BRAKES, & COMPONENTRY
- All four bikes come with color matched fenders and chainguard, as well as a kickstand.
- All four models sport a rust-prohibitive coating on the chain
As our signature model, the Willow (both 3 & 7) has a few additional premium features including a Selle Royal gel-padded sprung saddle.
- The Willow 3 comes with a rear carrier, whereas the Franklin 3, Franklin 8, and Willow 7 have all the braze-ons (mounting points) needed should you want to attach a carrier.
Ivory Franklin 3
Gloss Black Willow 7
RELATED: Step-Through Bike Buying Guide
We hope this helps highlight the differences and similarities between our Franklins and Willows, but should you have questions on these, or any of our step-throughs, or anything else, please reach out or schedule a free 1 on 1 consultation call with our team. We’d love to help!
We build bikes for vivid lives—for taking adventures, reconnecting with old friends, discovering new neighborhoods and exploring hidden gems. Inspired by the streets of Brooklyn, our bikes are built for style, comfort, and durability. Made with top quality parts, crafted with care, and sold at an affordable price, your bike is yours for life. We scrutinize every component for maximum sustainability and performance, and every millimeter of the frame for ultimate comfort and style. We take pride in our process, in our products, and in the people who sell them.